Smart Leaders Build Trust
Smart leaders understand that building trust is a foundation of everything they achieve.
As the old story goes, having trust is like a foundation of solid rock, giving strength and resilience to whatever you build on it. On the other hand, leaders who fail to achieve trust often find that at the first sign of trouble everything falls apart. Instead of solid foundations they have foundations of sand.
- Trust is strongly correlated with engagement. Research shows that a shift from neutral to high trust will double employee engagement. Shifting from low trust to high trust will triple engagement.
- Trust drastically reduces the time it takes to do business. Trusted leaders spend less time and effort persuading people and get higher compliance.
- Trust is at the heart of a flourishing workplace culture, leading to more creativity, productivity, better decision making and a high degree of flexibility. As Peter Drucker says, ‘Culture eats strategy for breakfast’.
- Trusted brands make easier sales and can command higher prices.
- Trust is highly correlated with advocacy and the Net Promoter Score (NPS)
Mentoring for Trusted Leaders
If trust was simple enough to be taught in a half-day management training programme, there would be a lot more of it. But despite the known benefits of trust, a 2014 survey found that 48% of Australians do not trust business leaders at all and only 7% are willing to trust them a great deal. Trust is a metaskill, it is a consequence of the way we see others and ourselves, the beliefs, attitudes and habits which give rise to behaviours. Whereas skills can be taught in a training environment, metaskills are better developed in a mentoring environment. For this reason we offer a package of mentoring sessions to help leaders build trust in their own unique style. Read more >>
About Discover the Other
Founded by Mike Lowe, Discover the Other offers mentoring, training and consulting for leaders wanting to reap the benefits of raising the level of trust in themselves as individuals, in their teams and in their organisations and brands.
We have over 20 years experience working with groups as diverse as politicians, police forces, ex-combatants, ethnic and multicultural groups. Our vision is for a world where people can trust each other to do the right thing. Read more >>
Mike has really helped me to get clear about the way in which I work and where my time is best spent. His advice and suggestions have been invaluable. He is great to work with and I have no doubt he can provide real value to people wanting to get the best out of themselves.
Ned Coten, Managing Director, Acorn Brand Design
It is a great pleasure to know Mike. I regard him as the guru on flow and his unique ability to resolve conflict peacefully and to the benefit of all concerned. Mike is a great thinker and writer and is also great at helping people to identify their talents and bring them to their work. I trust Mike with my clients which is the highest recommendation I can give.
Ian Berry, creator of Enhancing Their Gifts System™ and author of Changing What’s Normal